ISMAR 2021, the premier conference for Augmented Reality (AR) and Mixed Reality (MR), will be held on October 4-8, 2021 in Bari, Italy. Note that ISMAR changed its submission structure this year and offers three distinct calls for journals, papers, and posters. This call is for submission to the conference poster track. See the ISMAR website for more information.
- June 11th, 2021: Poster Papers abstracts due (REQUIRED).
- June 18th, 2021: Poster Papers submissions due.
- July 30th, 2021: Poster Papers notifications.
- August 15th, 2021: Camera-ready papers due.
ISMAR is responding to the increasing commercial and research activities related to AR and MR and Virtual Reality (VR) by continuing the expansion of its scope over the past several years. ISMAR 2021 will cover the full range of technologies encompassed by the MR continuum, from interfaces in the real world to fully immersive experiences.
ISMAR invites research contributions that advance AR/VR/MR technologies, collectively referred to as eXtended Reality (XR) technologies, and are relevant to the community.
The poster session is one of the highlights of ISMAR, where the community engages in a discussion about the benefits and challenges of XR in other research and application domains.
All accepted poster papers will be presented orally at the ISMAR conference poster session. Presentations should be in person if possible, though given the current situation with COVID-19 we expect to support authors presenting remotely.
We welcome paper submissions from 2-6 pages, including the list of references. Poster papers will be reviewed on the basis of an extended abstract, which can contain smaller contributions, late breaking developments or in-progress work.
Please note that ISMAR further distinguishes poster papers of 2 pages to be non-archival and poster papers of 3 or more pages to be archival. This means that authors of 2 page poster papers can resubmit longer versions of their accepted work, with additional details, at later ISMAR conferences.
All submissions will be accepted or rejected as poster papers*
- All accepted papers will be archived in the IEEE Xplore digital library
- At least one of the authors must register and attend the ISMAR 2021 conference to present the poster
*Note that for ISMAR 2021 the poster submission track will run in parallel to the conference paper submission track with a submission deadline prior to the conference paper final notifications.
The Poster track is co-aligned to the Conference Paper track, which may accept some Conference Paper submissions as posters based on the merit of their contribution. Detailed submission and review guidelines are available on the conference website and the Guidelines section.
Note that a paper abstract must be uploaded prior to the actual paper submission deadline (see submission deadlines). All paper submissions must be in English.
Topics of Interest
All topics relevant to and advancing AR, VR and MR are of interest. VR papers are welcome regardless of their relevance to AR/MR. Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
- Camera and projector-camera calibration
- Collaborative XR interfaces
- Computer vision
- Content creation / authoring and content management.
- Conversational and speech interfaces.
- Display technologies (e.g., eyewear, smart watches, projectors)
- Ethics & social implications
- Ergonomics and human factors
- Human-computer interaction
- Immersive visual analytics and visualization techniques
- Localization, spatial registration and tracking
- Locomotion and navigation techniques
- Machine learning / artificial intelligence
- Mediated and diminished reality
- Multimodal input and output
- Multi-user systems, distributed and networked systems.
- Omnidirectional, immersive videos
- Presence, body ownership, and agency
- Rendering techniques
- Sensor fusion
- Spatial audio, auditory perception and psychoacoustics
- Spatial AR, projection mapping, projector-camera systems
- System & hardware architectures, real-time aspects.
- Touch, tangible and gesture interfaces
- Social implications
- Technology acceptance
- Teleoperation and telepresence
- Toolkits and software architectures
- User experience, usability studies and human-subjects experiments
- Underwater & space XR technologies
- 3D User interaction techniques
- Video processing and streaming
- VR simulations of AR/MR/XR
- Visual effects / video processing
- Virtual humans and avatars
- XR applications from domains such as
- Art, cultural heritage, education and training
- Automotive, aerospace, and other engineering domains
- Entertainment, sports broadcast
- Health, accessibility, wellbeing, and medical applications
- Diversity and inclusion
- Industrial, military, emergency response
- Therapy and rehabilitation
- Underwater & space science
- XR for COVID
- Further domains not listed above
We also encourage authors to submit emerging applications, technologies, and methodology papers addressing topics not listed above.
ISMAR 2021 Science & Technology Journal Papers Chairs