Call for Student Volunteers
Become a Student Volunteer
Student volunteers are a critical component of any successful conference. As such, ISMAR is calling for friendly and responsive volunteers to help us for the 2021 conference. This year, we are considering the possibility of holding the first ever ISMAR mixed conference with participants not only attending the conference on-site, but also remotely using a virtual platform.
Volunteers help by managing the registration desk, helping set up demo sessions, providing on-site support to the organizing committee, assisting speakers during presentations, supporting as virtual event moderators, providing session support to virtual attendees, and more.
Why You Should Volunteer
Participating as a student volunteer gives you the unique opportunity to network with all of our attendees from young local and international researchers, to world leaders in mixed and augmented reality. Students will also gain valuable experience for future scientific event organization. Volunteering for ISMAR 2021 is also an opportunity to gain academic service experience – an often critical component of post graduate work.
Students volunteers this year will also play a key role in the generation of interesting, creative, and new ideas to enhance the hybrid conference experience so that it is more exciting and valuable to attendees. We are particularly interested in activities or ideas that can merge the two groups together. Phrased differently, this is an opportunity to help shape the events of an international conference!
Finally, in exchange for your aid in running the conference we will waive your conference registration fee. Students will also receive the same benefits as other conference attendees.
Selection Guidelines and Eligibility
Volunteer positions are competitive due to their limited availability and the many strong applications we receive every year. Applications are open to all undergraduate and postgraduate students interested in cutting edge augmented reality research. In order to join the ISMAR team as a volunteer you must be enrolled as a PhD, Masters, or full-time undergraduate student at the time of the conference (October 4). Some preferences will be given to international students traveling from outside of Italy to present their research, but all applicants are welcome (even if they are not presenting).
The following additional considerations will influence volunteer selection:
- Selection for presentation at ISMAR 2021.
- Preference is given to PhD, then masters, then undergraduate students. (However, we still encourage everyone to apply).
- Good communication skills in English.
- Previous experience in event organization is desired but not required (on-site or virtual).
- The number of volunteers from each region, institution, and research group may be balanced to ensure broad participation.
- Underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply.
Volunteers will be required to:
- Participate in an orientation session in the week before the event.
- Online student volunteers will be asked to attend training sessions and support attendees in the week before the event.
- For on-site student volunteers, it is necessary to arrive at the conference not later than October 2.
- Work up to 20 hours (around 4 hours a day).
- Show up on time for their assigned tasks.
Submission Deadline: August 15, 2021 (23:59 AoE)
Notification: September 5, 2021 (23:59 AoE)
How to apply
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us through email at firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to meeting and working with you!
The ISMAR 2021 Student Volunteer Chairs
Cassidy Nelson, Ph.D. Student, Virginia Tech
Alessandro Evangelista, Ph.D Student, Polytechnic University of Bari
Alejandro Martin-Gomez, Ph.D. Candidate, Technical University of Munich